Los Angeles-based performer Shelli Boone gives valuable information, thoughts and insight on life as an entertainer on the stage, in film and television and commercials. Her mission is to empower everyone,
especially young women, to follow their dreams without falter...

Sunday, January 31, 2010

What Are We Watching?


Last night, a friend and I had a long conversation about the state of
America's young people. We talked about how it just seems like today's youth want instant success without the hard work that goes into it. They see Diddy and Lil' Wayne on TV and think that they can get in the studio, make a hit record and be instant millionaires. They neglect to consider the years and years of hard work that have gone into making that millionaire. Diddy started out as an intern and Lil' Wayne has been rapping since he was 12! That is some hard work put into making their careers.
Yes, I know, I know, I sound like an old woman - probably how my parents talked about my generation and my grandma talked about my parents. The cycle continues I suppose...
But then we started to talk about media and television and the things that inspired us when we were kids. We watched shows like "A Different World" and "The Cosby Show". These episodics depicted young people of color going to college, becoming professionals - and that inspired us to do so! I wanted to be just like Denice Huxtable at Hillman - partying, falling in love, going to step shows, but also studying and doing good things in my community. We began to think about what television has to offer now in terms of inspiring young people. And the sad truth is - not much.
With reality shows taking over the airwaves and getting so many viewers - things like "Jersey Shore" and "Bad Girls Club" - it's no wonder that young people think that the fast track to success is to get drunk, make a sex tape and curse their way into being a celebrity. Don't get me wrong - I watch reality television - it's a guilty pleasure. I just think that by not having an equal balance of inspiring shows with the more raunchy ones, we are sending the wrong message to our next generation.
That's why as artists we have a responsibility to write, produce and create programming, films, books and theatre that don't just entertain but actually create change and growth in society. I recently attended a screening where the original Uhura on "Star Trek", actress Nichelle Nichols, spoke about her first onscreen kiss with Spok. She didn't realize it at the time but that show was changing the way America looked at interracial relationships. I believe we have to do that for our young people - create things that inspire them to be more, do more, and pass it on to their kids. Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment